From Anti-Republic Crusaders on Facebook:
I know a lot of you always joke around and ask me “When are you going to have more children?!” Or, when I am sick, some of you joke and say, “Uh oh, are you pregnant?” I am about to share something with all of you, that for the last year, only my husband and my parents have been aware of. The possibility of me ever having anymore children is almost slim-to-none.
I have cervical cancer. I do not want your pity. I do not want your sympathy. However, I do appreciate your positive thoughts and prayers. The reason why I am telling you all about this now? Effective, as of yesterday, August 1st 2012, the treatments that I could not have previously afforded will be offered to me free of charge. Even though I have AMAZING insurance, it only pays 80%. The remainder 20% would have cost me thousands upon thousands of dollars in medical bills; and to be honest with all of you, it would have been financially a better choice for my SON AND MY HUSBAND (who are the two people that mean the most to me in this world) for me to not undergo treatments and basically let this disease spread to the rest of my body and die a miserable death.
TO MY PARENTS: this is why, up until now, I have not received any treatments and also why I have not been giving you constant updates about; for that, I am sorry. I would have gladly accepted this fate so that my son has a full stomach before he goes to bed every night, instead of trying to pay off medical bills. Also, as of yesterday, the hormonal birth control that used to cost me $35 a month in co-pays every month, my insurance will be obligated to pay for in full.
Why do I need hormonal birth control? If I do not take it I get very large and potentially deadly cysts on my ovaries that must be otherwise treated by emergency surgery. So, why all of a sudden are these benefits granted to me as of August 1st 2012?
Thank you Mr. President. Because of you, I may now have more time on this planet with my husband and child. You have made LIFE-SAVING medical treatments affordable for me and my family. My husband, my son, and most certainly myself are eternally grateful to you.
Accepting the ACA for the good that it represents is like accepting marriage equality: once someone you really care about gains from either, it’s much easier to see how good they both are.